EcoVadis Bronze Sustainability Medal for Scolmore Group
Scolmore Group, one of the UK’s leading organisations supplying the professional electrical contracting sector, is delighted to announce that it has been recognised for its sustainability efforts with a bronze medal awarded by EcoVadis.
EcoVadis is the world’s most trusted provider of business sustainability ratings, intelligence, and collaborative performance improvement tools for global supply chains. Backed by a powerful technology platform and a global team of domain experts, EcoVadis’ easy-to-use and actionable sustainability scorecards provide detailed insight into environmental, social and ethical risks across 190 purchasing categories and 150 countries. EcoVadis awards bronze medals to the top 50% of companies participating in its programme worldwide.
More than 90,000 companies have undergone EcoVadis assessment, and Scolmore’s ranking in the top 50% of all participants is based on the company's aggregate score across the four key appraisal areas – Environment, Labour and Human Rights, Ethics and Sustainable Procurement. This achievement qualifies Scolmore for the EcoVadis Bronze Medal Award, and in celebration of the successful completion of the assessment, EcoVadis will be planting a tree on Scolmore’s behalf through their partnership with One Tree Planted.
Responsible for driving the EcoVadis sustainability initiative at Scolmore Group is Manuela Rubino Courtney, Group Legal and Compliance Manager.
“We are honoured to have been awarded a bronze medal in recognition of our achievements,” said Manuela. “To have earned this status in our first-ever submission is testimony to the commitment and efforts of our teams to embed corporate sustainability into the culture, strategy and day-to-day operation across the Scolmore Group of companies. This achievement also signals to our customers that we are the right partner to support their own sustainability drive.”
The objective of the EcoVadis Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) rating methodology is to measure the quality of a company’s CSR management system through its policies, actions and results. The EcoVadis CSR rating methodology is based on seven founding principles:
1. Evidence Based - the burden of the proof is on the company assessed. CSR management systems leave traces (e.g. policies, certificates, reporting). Supporting documents are a must. Company declarations are credited only if evidence is provided.
2. Industry, Location and Size Matter - the CSR management system is assessed taking into account material industry issues, presence in risk countries, and the size and geographical span of the company.
3. Diversification of Sources - the rating is based not only on supporting documents provided by the company but also on standpoints published by NGOs, trade unions, international organizations, local authorities, or other 3rd party organizations (e.g. auditors, CDP, Dow Jones Risk Compliance Database).
4. Technology Is a Must - a rating system can only become reliable and robust if it is supported by technology. Technology facilitates industrialization, which enables fast learning, growth and scalability.
5. Assessment by International CSR Experts - the supporting documents are analysed by a team of CSR experts from around the globe who keep track of the latest best practices in CSR.
6. Traceability and Transparency - every document used in the rating process is stored securely and can be traced back. Companies assessed have access, if needed, to the most detailed results and to each scoring decision.
7. Excellence Through Continuous Improvement - a professional rating methodology is open to quality controls, continuous improvement, and to stakeholders’ feedback. EcoVadis has implemented a company-wide quality management system supported by a client advisory board and a scientific committee.
Scolmore Group will be looking to improve its scores next year by further embedding the existing initiatives as well as identifying opportunities to expand sustainability efforts across the group of companies.